Monday, February 25, 2008

Remix Project Idea

For my Remix Project I decided to draft a new poem and then modify it through translation. The poem itself would be simply one stanza, two lines, and four words;

This means
absolutely nothing.

I am planning to translate it through several languages and show each translation from the orignial text as an evolutionary stage of the final product's development. The languages I plan to translate it through are all of the languages I was exposed to growing up in the order I first learned them. This means I'd be translating it from English to Korean, Korean to German, German to Spanish, Spanish to Japanese, and finally from Japanese back to English. I thought it would be fairly interesting to see what the final translation would be especially with the irony of the original text.

I'm doing this also as an expression of my experience as a bi-racial army brat growing up in a foreign land (in so many ways). My father is a boricua (New York born Puerto Rican) and my mother is from a small town outside of Seoul, South Korea (the name of which I probably couldn't pronounce even if I knew it). Shortly after I was born my family moved to Germany where my father was stationed with his Army Reserve unit and lived there for over 15 years. Well that's pretty much the gist of my Remix Project so let's see what happens.

No comments: