Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Well, that's that.

As I said before in the beginning of my final project, creating a web-comic is hard. I should have stuck to my strengths which was writing over drawing. This is what makes me really impressed with Jason Frostick's Desert Journey project. What I found interesting was the fact that he and I walked away from our group project with different interpretations of the experienc. By focusing on the literary aspects over the visual he was able to achieve his goal of providing that interactive element our group project was striving for through a fairly simple yet brilliant format of a choose your own adventure novel via hyperlinks. In hindsight I wonder how our group project would have turned out if we had chosen that method over the text game engine? When I first saw the first draft of Jason's adventure tree scribbled over an entire 8x11 page I thought he was nuts to try and implement all of those pathways. What I didn't realize was that he had essentially finished the hardest part and therefore actually typing and setting the links from one choice branch to the next was easy (relatively speaking) because he knew exactly where he wanted each part of the narrative to go. I wonder what a hybrid of Jason's hyper-linking text approach and the implementation of actual images would yield? Either way it was a great story and I enjoyed exploring all of the possible routes his adventure had in store.

No comments: